The BC BackPack Scholarship was established in July 2015 by the Berkeley County BackPack Program to provide a scholarship for one or more senior students from any one of the four Berkeley County high schools. The BackPack Program is offering this scholarship to encourage students to pursue higher education. The scholarship(s) will be a minimum of $250.00 per year.
Criteria for Selection
- Must be a graduating senior from Hedgesville, Martinsburg, Musselman or Spring Mills High School
- Must have received weekend food bags from the Berkeley County BackPack Program during their senior year OR volunteer a minimum of 10 hours with the backpack program during one (1) school year.
- Must be accepted to a college/university/trade/technical school for the upcoming fall semester
- Must have an overall GPA of 2.5 or greater (attach copy of transcript)
- Applicant must attach a copy of acceptance letter from college/university/trade/technical school in which they will be attending
- Applicant must complete a FAFSA application
- Applicant must attach copy of transcript
- Applicant must include a one-page typed, double-spaced essay describing how receiving BackPack Program food bags each week has benefitted or influenced your life with respect to your academic performance, family, health and or sense of community OR an essay on the importance of volunteering in your community.
All requirements must be met and completed application package is due on or before April 1.
Please staple and submit your completed application materials to the school guidance counselor by April 1 OR mail application materials to PO Box 2153 Hedgesville, WV 25427.
The BackPack Program Board of Directors will review, check for completeness of application materials, and select the scholarship winner(s).