Mission & Vision
Helping to end child hunger in our county one backpack at a time.
The mission of the BackPack Program is to meet the needs of hungry children at times when other resources are not available, such as weekends and school vacations. Our goal is to help end childhood hunger in Berkeley County one backpack at a time.
We are passionate in our belief that no child should ever have to experience hunger and all the negative effects that accompany it. We expect that with our program, there will be a time when our numbers are no longer growing and student food needs are met in all Berkeley County Schools. We achieve victory each week when we are able to meet the growing needs of students.
Our vision is a hunger-free life for every child in Berkeley County.
- Children first: The Berkeley County BackPack Program serves the needs of all school-aged children in the county. Our program helps each child be hunger-free when resources are not available.
- Urgency: We know that children arrive at school hungry every day. Therefore, the need for a reliable food source is even more critical on weekends, school holidays, and summer break. The BackPack Program meets the needs of the children by feeding them now and seeks to educate the public on the urgent plight of children in Berkeley County.
- Integrity: We act with honesty, trustworthiness, candor and discretion and deliver on commitments. We maintain transparency in our actions and intentions. We strive for professionalism in our actions and words while interacting with school systems, communities, the students and their families.
- Service: We believe service to others is fundamental to creating a hunger-free Berkeley County; as such, we are an all-volunteer organization. We serve with compassion and responsiveness to meet the needs of our children. By providing excellent service, we are able to bring more people together in commitment to our vision.
- Collaboration: We believe in the power of community. We collaborate and build strong relationships with and among those who share our vision of creating a hunger-free Berkeley County. We depend on assistance from our local community members, businesses, and religious organizations to both fund and deliver the food for our children. We seek out and are responsive to the input and counsel of our community partners.